Thursday, July 15, 2010

Fruit Loops and Fiber

Well it’s late and didn’t think I was going to get a chance to post but since I was on a roll this week I had to.
I’ve been seeing this commercial the last few days for Fruit Loops.  The point the commercial is trying to get across is that Fruit Loops is good for you because it contains fiber.  Are you kidding me Fruit Loops a “health food”.  I checked out the web site just to see for myself. 
                              Fruit Loops
Yes they do contain fiber 3 grams in a 1 cup serving, however, if you look at the ingredient list the first ingredient is sugar.  There’s also some yummy red #40, blue #2 and yellow #6.  Doesn’t that sound good.  I know you’ll be searching the health food stores looking for those ingredients.
I’m sure parents are feeding this to their kids and thinking they are doing a good thing because it has fiber.  They are probably thinking it must be healthy they wouldn’t be able to advertise this if it wasn’t. .. Right??
I used to be one of those people.  You might remember the “Fat Free” craze a few years back.  Fat Free cookies, mayo, cereal, crackers etc. etc.  Everything was fat free.  I remember buying box after box of Snackwell cookies thinking I could eat them and not worry about it.  All the experts were telling me to eat fat free, the manufacturers were advertising their products as healthy because they were fat free.  Little did I know “Fat Free” meant tons of sugar and other fillers were added to take the place of the fat.
There are so many misleading statements in food advertising.  There really should be stricter rules and regulations in this area. 
What products have you seen advertised lately as healthy foods?
Time for bed.  Night all.
~~  Jackie

1 comment:

NSGIRL said...

I still have a hard time adjusting my mind set that fat free is not the way to go. I have a little fight with myself in the grocery store & sometimes buy fat free & sometimes not...trying to aim for more of the "not" fat free!!

Way to go on the posting lately!!!!