Thursday, January 28, 2010

TOFU PHOBIA

I have been buying different types of Tofu for years only to throw out the unopened packages.  I just didn’t know what to do with it, but I kept buying it in hopes that one day I would be brave enough to take the plunge and actually open the package.  Well that day finally came.  Tofu for supper tonight. 

The other day on one of my many, many trips to the grocery store I saw this one. 

IMG_0779

Blue Menu Coconut Curry Tofu.  Sounded interesting and it was already flavored so that was one thing I didn’t have to worry about.  I was pleasantly surprised to find out that Tofu actually does take on the flavor of what you cook it with… who knew.   That took care of my first fear.  The texture … well still not 100% sure of that.  I was hoping it would crisp up a bit but it didn’t.  It wasn’t what I was expecting but not bad at all.  Will I ever say I want Tofu over a turkey dinner, No, but I no longer have my tofu phobia, and will be adding into my diet. 

Now if I could only figure out how to disguise it and convince hubby it’s steak!!

1 comment:

JavaChick said...

When I eat tofu it tends to be in something. I know lots of people like to marinate and bake it, but usually if we buy tofu it goes into a stir fry or Asian soup of some kind (like Hot & Sour Soup).

I don't tend to think of it as a meat substitute either, if that makes sense. So no, I don't see it as a replacement for turkey or steak. But there are lots of tasty ways that it can be prepared to give you a satisfying meal. In fact one of my favorite dishes to get at a Chinese Restaurant is Ma Po Tofu, and that usually has tofu and ground pork.