Sunday, October 21, 2012

Curry Roasted Butternut Squash Soup


I don’t know if it’s the chill that’s been in the air lately but I’ve been craving soup, which really is a little odd for me.  I love soup once I’m eating it but to crave it isn’t something that happens often.  Since I had a lonely butternut squash in the cupboard that had to be used butternut squash soup was the winner.
Curry Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
  • 1 medium Butternut Squash, halved and seeded
  • 1 small head of garlic
  • 1/2 large red onion, chopped
  • 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
  • 1 – 2 tsp curry powder
  • 1 bay leaf
  • fresh grated nutmeg
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • Maple syrup to drizzle over when serving
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Drizzle your halved squash with EVOO and sprinkle with salt and pepper roast till flesh is soft when pierced with a knife.  I roast mine skin side down for part of the cooking and skin side up for part of the cooking.
IMG_0523
While your roasting your squash you can roast a head of garlic at the same time.  Cut off the top of the garlic drizzle with EVOO, salt and pepper.  Wrap with foil and place in the oven.
While the squash is cooking sauté your onion in some EVOO till caramelized.  When it’s caramelized to your liking add the curry powder and toast slightly to bring out the flavour.
When the squash is cool enough to handle scoop the flesh into your blender or food processor along with the onion and curry mixture.  Squeeze the garlic out of the cloves out of their skin and add to food processor or blender.  Process till smooth.  Add some broth if necessary for processing.  Place mixture in your pot add remaining broth, bay leaf, and fresh ground nutmeg.
Bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 – 15 mins.  Drizzle with maple syrup when serving.

** Note: I served with a garnish of Cilantro.  I really enjoyed the combination of flavours.  So the next time I make it I will all a small amount (don't want it to overpower the soup)maybe a Tbsp or less of chopped Cilantro**

curry roasted butternut squash soup
I served mine with some Quinoa that I rinsed well and drained till mostly dry.  While that was drying I browned some butter in the pot.  Add the dried Quinoa and cook till toasty.  It only takes a few minutes. Add your water (or broth) and salt cover and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to low and simmer till liquid is absorbed. Let sit for 5 mins and fluff with a fork.
Simple and delicious.
~ Jackie

No comments: