Saturday, October 27, 2012

Cinnamon Walnut Granola

Here we are again, it's the weekend.  The work week was pretty standard, busy as always and I felt like I was coming down with something all week but nothing became of it so I'm happy about that.  I still have some money left on my benefits so I thought I would schedule myself for a massage unfortunately my regular massage therapist was unavailable so I tried a new one. I wasn't really a fan, but I'm quite picky when it comes to massage therapists. I also tried a new Acupuncturist, she was quite good and her office is close to home so I'll be going back.

Now on to the yummy granola.  I'll warn you now this stuff is addictive!!  It is also Tom approved.  He tried it last night and his comment was "this is good but there's one problem.....you didn't make enough.". Looks like I'll be making some more today.

I saw a recipe like this on line but have no idea where I saw it so I tried to go by memory.  If this looks like your recipe please leave a comment so I can link back to it.

Cinnamon Walnut Granola (with rum soaked dried fruit)
2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup buckwheat groats
3/4 cups chopped walnuts or pecans
1/2 cup shredded coconut (I used sweetened)
1 tbsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
raisins, goji berries, currants (Approximate measurements- handful of raisins, 2 tbsp goji berries, 1 tbsp currants)
1/2 cup rough chopped pitted medjool dates
1/3 cup + 1 tbsp maple syrup, warmed
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 tbsp warm water
2 tbsp coconut oil melted (you could use light EVOO too)
1/2 tsp sea salt

Soaking liquid for dried fruit - I'm not a fan of raisins so whenever I use them in a recipe I soak them.  My liquid of choice is a little hot water and spiced rum or dark rum.  Add liquid to just cover fruit, and soak till soft.  Drain well.  Depending on your recipe or you taste you can use just plain water, apple juice, orange juice, some amaretto the possibilities are endless.

Preheat oven to 300
In a large bowl combine oats, buckwheat groats, walnuts and cinnamon and nutmeg.
Add dates, maple syrup, vanilla, water, oil and salt to blender.  Blend till smooth.
Add to dry ingredients and mix till well combined.
Spread evenly on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake about 30 mins or until golden brown, stirring occasionally.  In the last 10 mins of cooking add the soaked and drained dried fruit.






Enjoy... don't say I didn't warn you it's addictive.

~Jackie

No comments: