Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Vacation - Chicken and "Rice"


It's that time again, I'm on vacation.  Unlike my last couple weeks off where the weather was sweltering hot this vacation started off with a monsoon. We didn't have any flooding in our area but about an hour away there was some serious flooding.

Hopefully the water recedes soon and everyone can start the clean up process.

One thing I will be working on during my vacation is getting a good start on some goals I set for myself in September.  Something I need to overcome is the fact my goals are usually vague, big picture, and lacking a plan with little goals along the way. As a result I end up getting distracted and never quite seem to get to the desired end result.  Which in turn leads to negative thoughts and feelings about myself.  My September goals aren't lofty by any stretch of the imagination but slow and steady wins the race, right!

A few of my September goals are:
1.  Walk at least 30 minutes 5 days per week.  
2.  Complete and submit tests/assignments for 2 modules in RHN course.

One of my upcoming goals is to organize my recipe collection. I have 59765 recipes I need to get under control, but I have no idea how.  Do I sort them by meal type, chef, type of cooking (Gluten Free, Vegan, Raw) etc. Anyone have suggestions?

On the subject of recipes,  last night I was sitting here among my 59765 recipes while searching online and  I still couldn't find anything for supper. Sadly this occurs more often than I would like. Supper obstacle #2 hubby won't eat what I eat so I have to cook something different for him.

Here's what I decided on for me, Ginger Cilantro Chicken  and Cauliflower Rice. 


Preheat Oven to 375

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1" piece of fresh ginger, grated
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
1 jalapeno pepper seeded
1/3 cup cilantro leaves
1/4 - 1/3 chicken stock or white wine
2 tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce (or Tamari)
1 tsp sesame oil (I used about 1/2 tsp hot sesame oil)
Sea Salt and Pepper
chopped green onions for garnish

Put all ingredients (except chicken and green onions) into your food processor and process till smooth.

Sear chicken on both sides in a skillet. Remove from skillet and place in baking dish.  Pour sauce mixture over chicken and bake till chicken reaches 165 and juices run clear.

Remove and serve topped with some chopped cilantro and green onions.

Since I liked everything in the recipe I figured it would be a winner and it was.  

Cauliflower Rice
1 medium head of cauliflower

1/2 - 1 cup chopped onion 
1 small carrot, shredded
1 - 2 cloves roasted garlic, mashed
1 tbsp EVOO or coconut oil
Sea Salt and pepper

Place shredding blade in food processor (you can use a box grater too). Processes cauliflower.
Saute onions till soft, add cauliflower, mashed garlic, carrot, salt and pepper.  Saute about 10 minutes.  I wanted mine a little crispy so I probably cooked it a it longer.

I was skeptical about the "rice" but it turned out really well.  A great way to get in some extra veggies and skip the carbs.

~~Jackie                           

No comments: