Monday, September 17, 2012

My Favorite Gingersnap Cookie Recipe

I did it, I survived my return to work from vacation.  As I suspected it wasn’t  a smooth return but the work got done and nobody got hurt in the process.
One of my guilty pleasures is cookies and I don’t discriminate I love cookies of all kinds.  Sadly your average cookie recipe is far from healthy.  You know what I’m talking about, white flour, white sugar, brown sugar, butter or shortening nothing there even remotely resembles nutrition. 
This recipe originally came from my grandmother and I think mom told me she used bacon fat in it.  I know sounds odd but mom swears that’s what it was back in the day (I’m still skeptical). When the recipe came to me it was lard or shortening and I changed it to butter flavoured Crisco…. doesn’t that sound yummy.
I’m now on a quest to healthify some of my favorite cookie recipes.  I’ve already done my chocolate chip cookie recipe so this one was the next on the list.  I’m very please with the result.
Gingersnap Cookies (Gluten Free)
  • 2 cups Gluten Free Flour mix
  • 1 tbsp ground ginger
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 3/4 cup coconut oil
  • 1 cup coconut sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup black strap molasses
  • organic sugar for dipping
Sift dry ingredients. Set aside.  Cream coconut oil and sugar together.  Add egg and molasses.  Beat well.  Gradually add dry to wet until well combined.  Roll into balls dip in sugar and flatten with a fork.
Bake at 350 for 12 mins.  Let cool completely
These do have a little different taste than the original recipe which I think is from the blackstrap molasses instead of the regular molasses.  If you’ve never had blackstrap it has a deeper toasted caramel flavour.  I also think I will add a little more ginger next time only because the flavour of the molasses is stronger so the ginger takes a little bit of a back seat.
GINGER COOKIES                                 
                   GINGER COOKIES 1
I think this was a pretty good job of healthifying them and still keeping the cookie integrity. 
~~ Jackie

No comments: