Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Gourmet Pizza

Today's recipe comes to you courtesy of the man of the house.   As I mentioned before he's on a quest to find the perfect pizza.  The story behind it is a little long so I won't bore you with all the details but the end result is there is lots of pizza eating happening in my house and I don't have to cook. The bad thing is I've been doing my best to avoid gluten, and I avoid dairy as much as possible, so this isn't helping in the least. Another drawback is he won't eat veggies so the majority of the pizzas have been meat and cheese. Given the fact that he's trying to perfect this for the general public I can't complain.
You can imagine my excitement when I came home to a pizza just for me. He makes the dough from scratch in the KitchenAid and was shocked the first time how easy it was, and he thought I was crazy for wanting to spend that much money on a mixer.  I was just softening the blow for when the Vitamix arrived..lol

The recipe was messily scribbled on a tiny piece of paper so I don't have measurements but it's pizza so I figured it really doesn't matter.




Sweet Onion Ricotta Pizza

Preheat oven to 425- 450

Pizza dough of your choice
Olive oil
Mozzarella cheese
Sweet onion (Vidalia or Spanish), sliced thin
Ricotta
Parsley, finely chopped
Tomatoes, finely chopped
1/2 Lemon

Spread olive oil over dough.  Sprinkle with mozzarella, thinly sliced onion and ricotta.  Bake till crust is cooked to desired doneness. Remove from oven and sprinkle with parsley, chopped tomatoes, and a squeeze of lemon juice.  Return to the oven to warm the tomatoes.

It turned out really well and was quite tasty.  The next time we make it I think I'll add some roasted garlic to the base and maybe some feta.  It's a great recipe to play with and make it your own.

Jackie

No comments: