Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Strawberry Muffins

 

It’s been awhile since I actually sat down and wrote a blog post.  I haven’t been totally absent from the online world though, I’ve been posting on the FB page for the blog.  So if you think I’ve gone amongst the missing hop on over and like the FB page.

Back to work after a very soggy Canada Day long weekend.  There wasn’t too much excitement here, Saturday started with a trip to the market.  I was on a mission to find local Valley strawberries.  Nothing says summer than some juicy fresh strawberries.  I found some spray free berries from Annapolis and oh my they were good.  Notice I said were…that would be because they are all gone. IMG_0848

We have a few Farmers Markets around here Alderney Landing, Halifax Seaport Market, Musquodoboit, and The Brewery Market.  Farmers Markets are bursting with fresh local produce this time of year.  Besides the local produce  being far more flavourful than what you pick up at the grocery store, shopping at local markets supports our local farmers.  Why would you choose to buy flavourless hard strawberries from the US or Mexico that were picked, who knows how long ago, when our local berries, the best berries you can find, are in season. 

My friends brother posted this recipe on FB and they looked so yummy I had to make a batch.  I changed up a couple of ingredients ( coconut sugar for some of the white sugar, coconut oil for half of the butter and almond milk for cows milk)  I wanted to use spelt flower but I couldn’t find it.  I’m assuming it’s at the bottom of the deep freeze and I couldn’t be bothered to dig everything out to find it.

STRAWBERRY MUFFINS

  • 1/4 cup coconut oil, softened
  • 1/4 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup coconut sugar
  • 1/4 cup organic sugar
  • 2 cups organic unbleached flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup vanilla almond milk
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped strawberries
  • 3 tsp organic sugar
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon

Cream butter and sugar. Add egg and mix well.

Sift flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl. Add flour mixture and milk alternately to butter mixture. Add vanilla. Gently stir in strawberries.

Spoon batter into muffin pans. (It will be a thick batter)

Combine sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over muffins.

Bake at 400º for 20-25 minutes (makes 12 muffins)

IMG_0850

So head on out to your local farmers market this weekend and support our local farmers!

IMG_0849

 

~ Jackie

No comments: