Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Homemade Nut Milk

It was back to work yesterday after my mini vacation.  It doesn’t matter how long a vacation is, it is just never long enough, although we are having another heat wave here and work does have A/C so it was a blessing in disguise.  I can’t believe the heat we’ve been having.  When I left work yesterday it was 36 degrees without the humidity.  I almost turned around and went back inside. 

The heat certainly isn’t inspiring me to get in the kitchen and cook so I thought I would do a post on something that doesn’t require turning on the stove.

I am lactose intolerant so before I discovered nut milk I used to use Lactose free milk but I have never really liked the taste of milk so I was quite happy to discover Almond milk a few years ago. I happily drank my store bought almond milk and then I saw how easy it is to make your own.  Who knew?! You don’t have to limit your choices to almonds. either If you like cashews or hazelnuts they work too.  I alternate between hazelnut and almond milk.  Almonds are a goitrogenic food and since I have thyroid disease I try to avoid overdoing those foods.

Aside from the fact that homemade nut milk tastes sooooo much better than store bought you can avoid carrageenan by making your own.   Carrageenan has been found to cause problems with our digestive system. You can check out my FB post on carrageenan here if you’d like some more info.

Homemade Nut Milk
  • 1 cup almonds (or your nut of choice)
  • 3 cups water for soaking
  • 3 – 4 cups water for processing
  • 2 dates pitted, and soaked (or maple syrup, honey, stevia) to sweeten
  • 1/2 vanilla bean ( or pure vanilla extract)
  • blender, nut milk bag (or layers of cheese cloth and sieve)
Soak nuts at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.  Drain water and rinse.  Add nuts and fresh water to your blender.  Blend till smooth. Pour the liquid in the nut milk bag or sieve with a couple layer of cheese cloth, and let drain.  If using the nut milk bag squeezing it through will speed up the process.  Return liquid to blender, add vanilla, and dates.  blend till combined. Store in a container in the fridge for 3 or 4 days.  Before using your yummy nut milk be sure to give it a shake as it will separate while in the fridge.  Other flavours to try – Chocolate and Coffee

nut milk1

I also make my nut milk in my juicer.  I know most people don’t have a juicer but if you do give it a try.  Follow the same procedure.  Soak the nuts discard the soaking water, rinse the nuts add 3 cups of fresh water and process through your juicer.  I find when I use the juicer there is much less pulp left in the milk.
nut milk2 

If you’re thinking it’s a waste to just throw out the pulp, you can use it in your baking for some added flavour. Just store it in a Ziploc bag in your freezer. 

Have a great week! 
~ Jackie





                                                                                                                                

No comments: