Sunday, June 12, 2011

Chocolate and Quinoa

Well Hellloooooo!!!  It appears I haven't written since December.  Wow, how time flies.  I've planned on writing many, many times over the last month or so.  I've written many posts in my head, unfortunately they never made it to the blog.

Even though it's been awhile, I'm just going to make this a quick one.  I've been on a search for a relatively healthy cookie that hubby would like.  Well, I've finally found one.  One of the main ingredients is quinoa, yup that's right quinoa.  Now I was a wee bit skeptical when I saw quinoa in a cookie but I thought I would give it a try.

Chocolate Quinoa Cookies 
Adapted from Peggy Kotsopoulos Recipe


My changes are marked with an * and the measurements are approximate.  I've made them a couple of times and didn't measure any of my changes either time.  It's an easy recipe to play with though, so have fun with it!!

Ingredients
1 cup cooked quinoa
1 cup quinoa flakes (or oatmeal) - I used oats
1 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut
2 large VERY RIPE bananas *
1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp coconut sugar*
2 Tbsp maple syrup*
2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted*
1/4 cup hemp seeds
2 tsp Maca (optional)*
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 - 1 tsp cinnamon*
pinch of sea salt
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/4 -1/3 cup cocoa
Optional ingredients - raisins, walnuts, pecans

Preheat oven to 380 degrees.  In a medium mixing bowl, mash bananas with a fork add vanilla, maple syrup and melted coconut oil.  In a large bowl combine remaining ingredients.  Add wet to dry and mix well.  If you think the batter is a little on the wet side you can add a few more oats or a bit more cocoa powder.  The batter should be on the wet side though.

Line baking sheet with parchment paper and drop batter on to cookie sheet.  Bake for 25-30 mins. * They took about 20 mins in the convection oven*



I made half the batch without cocoa or chocolate chips for hubby.  He doesn't like chocolate... I don't get it myself, how can anyone NOT like chocolate.  One of the great mysteries of the world!

Here's hoping it's not another 6 months before I post again.

Cheers... Jackie

1 comment:

Tricia said...

yum! welcome back