Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The cost of eating healthy

I don't quite have the hang of this bloggin thing yet. I haven't quite figured out how to set up my blog so it looks appealing. I'll have to keep working on that I guess. Any hints and tips would be appreciated.

I have been wondering what I was going to write about for my first post and what I came up with is the outrageous cost of eating healthy. Now I only recently began looking at these items that you would find in the "speciatly section" of the grocery store. I decided to look at some items I have read about on blogs here and the daughter of a friend of mine, whos daughter was recently diagnosed with Celiac disease, was telling me about the cost of items they have to purchase in order for her to remain healthy so I wanted to see for myself.

I have always been a big fresh fruit and vegetable person, so I am well aware of the ever increasing cost of fresh produce. I certainly look forward to the summer and early fall when there is fabulous local produce at markets around town, and in the Valley. Unfortunately living in Nova Scotia means that season is short lived and then we are forced to purchase what is trucked/flown in from the rest of the world.

Obviously if more people chose to eat this way instead of opting for the processed, pre packaged food, eventually there would be more of a selection and the prices should come down. However, I don't believe the average person can afford to do this for themselves let alone for a family of 3 or 4. For example it is much more cost effective to buy the no name white bread for .99 a loaf than it is to pay $5.99 for a loaf of Ezekiel bread.

Maybe someday we will have a Whole Foods here in HRM, like they have in the States. Although from what I hear the products in the States are very reasonably priced, but the products at Whole Foods in Canada are quite pricey.

I guess I am going to have to try and find a balance between the organic unprocessed foods and the regular grocery store items.


No comments: