Sunday, November 24, 2013

Chocolate Macaroons a Childhood Favourite

How are things going in your neck of the woods?   Mother Nature can’t seem to make up her mind here, one day it’s 15 degrees and then two days later it’s –6 with the wind chill…. brrrr!!  We haven’t had any snow yet so that’s a huge plus in my books.  I’m still working on Part Two of my Kombucha post.  Bottling a new batch today so fingers crossed I’ll have it  in a day or so.

In the meantime I thought I would share  one of my favourite childhood recipes, Chocolate Macaroons (or haystacks, or mud pies they seem to go by many different names).  Mom couldn’t keep me away from these as a kid.  Luckily she only made them once in awhile. These are no bake, quick and easy treats , but I’ll warn you they are NOT fat free, or sugar free but i have switched up some of the ingredients so you can feel better about eating them as a treat , not the whole pan in one sitting which I’m sure I did as a kid.

CHOCOLATE MACAROONS (NO BAKE)

  • 3/4 cup Sucanat or coconut sugar
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil
  • 1/4 cup almond milk
  • 1 cup unsweetened coconut
  • 1cup old fashioned rolled oats
  • 2 1/2 tbsp cocoa or cacao powder
  • 1/4 tsp fine grind natural sea salt
  • 1 tbsp ground chia seeds
  • 1/8 cup goji berries soaked in hot water (or spiced rum) to plump, and drained.

Combine sugar, butter coconut oil and milk in a saucepan over medium heat till it reaches a boil  Boil for 2 minutes.  Remove from heat stir in remaining ingredients. Drop buy spoonful on parchment covered cookie sheet. Sprinkle with sea salt and put in freezer till set.  These must be stored in the freezer or fridge. 

IMG_1157   IMG_1158

They are just as yummy as I remember but not as sweet as the original recipe and with a few healthier additions.

IMG_1159

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

~~ Jackie

No comments: