Monday, July 2, 2012

Anatomy and Chicken On The Barbie

Did I get your attention??

The Canada Day long weekend is quickly coming to a close, back to work tomorrow..booooo.  I still don't understand how the weekends (long or not) well, pretty much anytime away from work just zooms by yet the work days just drag on painfully.  I don't get it.  While I'm on the topic who's idea was it to create a 5 day work week and 2 day weekend. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!!!

I was on a roll blogging a little while ago, but I slacked off again.  Posting every day just doesn't seem to be practical.  I was having issues with my camera and laptop and life just gets in the way sometimes.  

Besides struggling with my laptop and camera , I've been struggling with my RHN (Registered Holistic Nutritionist) course.  Not struggling in the sense that I can't do it, but just trying to find the time and organize myself so I can put the necessary time in.  I still work full time, there are still 765 loads of laundry to do, dishes, cooking, groceries etc. etc. I have a million things I want and need to do but I get so overwhelmed I end up going in circles and getting nothing accomplished.   I wish someone could teach me how to prioritize and clean the clutter out so I can focus on what needs to get done.  The funny thing is I can do it at work I just can't carry that over into my personal life.  

Some, well actually I think most people think the RHN course is, all about cauliflower and broccoli and lacks substance.  Well I'm here to tell you that's not the case.  Right now I'm working on Anatomy and Physiology, it's a little challenging to say the least.  Interesting but challenging.  I'm told this is the section where they lose a lot of students. I can see why. Erythrocytes, leukocytes, the bony labyrinth, olfactory receptors, parasympathetic nervous system.  You get the idea. Learning how to spell everything should be a course in itself.

I can't wait to get through this section and move on to Symptomatology II, so I can start working on case studies. I have to do 12 in total with 2 follow ups later.  I've recruited some people to participate (friend, family, co-workers) but I'm still looking for some more so if anyone is interested let me know.  I send out the paperwork for you to complete (questionnaire(s) about your health) and then use that to formulate my recommendations that would help you reach your goals just as I will for clients when I complete the course. This is for school so I would be using them as I continue through my studies.  If you wish to know my recommendations I can tell you, if not the information is just used for the course.  Oh, and names are not submitted on the case studies so everyone's information is confidential.

Moving on.
I tried a new recipe last night for supper.  I was a teeny bit skeptical about one of the ingredients but it turned out pretty good.  I'm still undecided about the results but hubby seemed to like it so that's a good thing.

On the Menu
Smoky and Sweet Grilled Chicken, roasted lemon, garlic rosemary potatoes and grilled asparagus. Grilled asparagus is the best, and to think I hated asparagus growing up.  That would be because mom served asparagus from a can, yup that's right in a can...blech!! Mushy tasteless asparagus.


A couple squeezes of fresh lemon juice, grated garlic, olive oil, chopped fresh rosemary, S & P  
Top with some rosemary sprigs and some sliced garlic. Roast at 400 till golden brown.

Smoky & Sweet Grilled Chicken
1 1/2 tbsp pure maple syrup
1 1/4 tsp ancho chile powder (I just used regular chili  powder)
1 tsp smoked paprika
3/4 tsp ground coffee (this was the odd ingredient)
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp dried thyme
4 bone in skin on chicken breasts (3lbs) (I used chicken thighs)

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl.  It will make a thick paste.  Lift the skin of the chicken and rub some of the paste over the meat. Place any remaining marinade in a ziplock bag and refrigerate at least 4 hrs up to 24hrs.

Remove chicken from fridge 15 minutes before cooking and let it come to room temperature.  Place on BBQ and cook till juices run clear.


Time to hit the books.  

Have a great day everyone!!

~ Jackie















2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Jackie!
So good to hear from you and thanks for the newbie-blogger love! I really appreciate it :)

p.s. those garlic rosemary potatoes sound delicious, I can't wait to make 'em!!!

JavaChick said...

Hmm...I think that chicken recipe looks good, but Husband hates coffee so it might not go over well at our house.

I totally get the running around in circles and never getting anything done thing - that is my life on the weekends. If you ever figure out the solution, let me know. :)